Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

The Marine World hermit crabs get festive:


In vertebrate news, I co-won the "Best Teacher Costume" prize by going as Justin.

I'm the one on the left. Yes, I know, that sounds like a joke, but I had one student who saw me at a distance before seeing me closer up later on. The realization that the guy by the water cooler was actually his female history teacher totally shattered his mind.

Edited to add: bonus picture of my win. On the right is coworker Wendy, who went as gum stuck to the bottom of a shoe.

I was rather proud of my man-posing on the catwalk, until I heard that secondary head Katherine remarked, "I've never seen Justin walk like that." Give me a break! It's awfully hard to walk like Justin when your knees are intact!

4 comments:

  1. Hilarious! You deserved to win! How did you do the beard??????? What did Justin go as?

    The walk thing reminds me of the Bird Cage, when Robin Williams tells Nathan Lane to walk like John Wayne, and after Nathan Lane tries it and sees Robin Williams' face he says "No good??" and Robin Williams says "No, it's very good, I just never realized John Wayne walked like that!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH PS that comment was from me (Jackie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan! You have followed in the footsteps of your Great Grandmother! Once my Grandma Dice entered a costume contest dressed as a man. They couldn't figure out who she was and they finally decided to give her the men's first prize!! Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beard is brown eyeshadow for color, feathered over with mascara for that special hairy texture.

    Mom - forget Great-Grandma Dice! Growing up, I always thought Caroline Dissinger from the photo over Bibo's mantle was a man, and she wasn't even in costume.

    ReplyDelete