Friday, December 14, 2012

A morning in the life of a test supervisor.

This is from an email I sent to Justin a bit ago. I supervise standardized tests (like the SAT and ACT) at our school on Saturdays a few times a semester. Some times go more smoothly than others.

Omg let me tell you how unboring my morning was. First I got up in time for the test but lost a bit of time to my stomach feeling a bit off. Then I got ready to go and saw all the bikes blown over by last night's storm, so I picked them all up and got ready to go.

Then I realized my wallet wasn't in my bag and I needed the alarm card to turn off the security system when I opened the building for the test. I went back upstairs to look. No dice. Back downstairs to look in the bag in case I missed it last time. Nope. Back upstairs. Suddenly remembered that I had used my cash to make change for prom committee pizza sales and forgot the wallet in my desk. At school. On the other side of the alarm. Panic. Remembered fellow teacher and downstairs neighbor Corina is an early riser and telephoned. Fortunately she was up studying Japanese and gave me her card. Hero.

Running late but disaster averted! Hopped on my bike. Bike does not go. Lurched sideways off bike. Realized that upon being blown over, chain has slipped off gears. Cannot recall how to put chain back on bike. Bail on bike and try to walk really fast.

Still arrive at reasonable time. See the car belonging to another teacher, supervising a different test, in parking lot and breathe relief - he has let students in to the warm. Building door is locked, but sign-in sheet says alarm is off, and no red lights are on. Unlock door.


Recall that in one building, lights mean "on," but in the other building, lights mean "off." Not helpful. Deactivate alarm and open building. Open second-floor door to the outside, where students are supposed to wait before the test.

No students.

Go looking and find them waiting with other teacher in the other building. Bring them to my building waiting room and go swing by printer to pick up admissions rosters printed yesterday.

Admissions rosters printed wrong. And by "wrong," I mean completely blank.

Turn on workroom computer to reprint. 5 minutes later, workroom computer has not turned on. Desperately turn to staff room computer belonging to after-school teachers. Password locked, do not know their password. Suddenly remember old login, which used to apply to all school computers. Hold breath.

Teacher login ACTIVATE! Reprint using different browser.


Take rosters. Unlock secure test storage and remove tests. Hustle to testing area to check in students. Start test at 8:10, just ten minutes after usual and well ahead of required 9 AM start time.

Don't smell so good right now.

1 comment:

  1. The worst part is that the students probably noticed, you roundeye.