Sunday, February 5, 2012

TheSenseitions at ZOMG, Candy!

Our friend Rosa has a candy blog (linked to at right, or here: ZOMG, Candy!), so occasionally we send here some of the strange things we run into overseas. You can see all the things we've sent here. I sent a bag of weirdness when I was back in the US over winter break, and Rosa's just started putting up reviews.

When I pick stuff for Rosa, I try to prioritize three things. First, it has to ship and travel well in all weather, which knocks out chocolate, and be acceptable to customs. Second, I don't get anything expensive or upmarket, since in Japan those candies tend to imitate Western products more closely and therefore are probably less interesting to a candy blogger. Also, they are hard to find in small portions, and I figure Rosa doesn't need a ton just for tasting. Third, Japan is really into local things, so I try to get her products which are hard to find even here. I just sent Okinawan Hi-Chews (candies with a Starburst-like texture) and have some Kyoto specialty Kit-Kats which some day I'll remember to put in the mail.

Unless the product has an awesome name, like Crunky Nude Balls. Then all bets are off.

1 comment:

  1. Thank y'all for the fun foreign deliciousness! If you will give me like, a week's notice next time y'all return to the states, I can finally get my act together enough to return the favor

    ReplyDelete